Philip Kingsley Elasticizer Review on Fine Hair

Recently I've been on a bit of a mission to get my hair into the elusive state known as "good condition". At present I have a fair bit of trouble with frizziness, general lacklustreness and over processedness for lack of better words. The amount of products which claim to rid me of these pesky hair woes is, well, daunting. However, I have the added bonus (read: nightmare) of having incredibly fine hair which means that the majority of these products weigh my hair down and don't really help at all.

The blogger world has been abuzz for a while with the Philip Kingsley Elasticizer, the "intensive, super-moisturising pre-shampoo treatment for all hair types" claiming to add "elasticity, manageability, bounce and shine". Having never thought my hair lacked elasticity, or in fact having never considered the elasticity of my hair before (has anyone?), I thought that maybe this was the reason my hair was so blah. It wasn't the fact that it was repeatedly coloured and heat-styled that bit too often, it was that I didn't have... elasticity! Whatever that meant.

So I bought myself the little tube of miracle product (from feelunique.com if you are so inclined to do so yourself) and carefully read the instructions.

Untitled

For fine hair, it suggests that you apply the product sparingly through the mid lengths and end of your hair, cover with a plastic cap and leave on for 10-20 mins. Normally with intensive conditioners etc I am with the philosophy of "more is better" but with this I showed restraint and followed the instructions to a tee (to a tee or to a T? You know, I've never actually written the phrase down) even donning my large, comical duck shower cap (think part shower cap part duck stuffed toy, and I'll spare you the embarrassing pictures).

I'd read a lot of reviews of this product before purchasing and many people said that you don't even need to use conditioner after using this, alas, this was not the case with me. It felt as if the embarrassment of trotting about my house is a duck shower cap for twenty minutes was all for nothing as I rinsed it out and shampooed my hair. I did have to condition my hair afterwards, and after drying I have to say it felt no different. Very disappointing after having spent £12 on 75ml.

Untitled


I decided to try again the next night, this time throwing the instructions away and slathering the stuff all over my head and leaving it on for longer than the recommended 20 mins (over night in fact). At least this time I had some results, even though I still used conditioner after my shampooing. My hair was indeed soft, shiny maybe?, not incredibly so but there was a difference, however it did weigh my hair down somewhat and it felt like it needed a wash sooner than it would normally.

As the days go on, my hair still feels soft, softer in fact, which makes me think that it might do something to my hair in the long run if I do the overnight thing weeky or twice weekly. That being said, I doubt I'll be repurchasing it as I'm sure I can find similar results with much cheaper products (recommendations are always welcome!).

5 comments:

  1. I was on the verge of buying this at the weekend, wish I did now! It does sound like one of those products which works over time rather than instant results

    http://whatkimmididnext.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too so I will keep using it every so often and hopefully the condition of my hair will improve. Fingers crossed :) x

      Delete
  2. I have fine hair too so this was super interesting as I've never heard of this product or brand before! Thanks for sharing :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never have guessed you have fine hair, it looks so thick and glossy and lovely in your picture! x

      Delete
  3. Oooh this does look interesting, conditioners tend to make my hair very unmanageable and greasy though:(

    ReplyDelete